Monday, January 3, 2011

Rhinebeck, etc.


This was shared on the Women of Unity's Newsletter at my Church. . .

Rhinebeck Wool and Sheep Fair - October 16, 2010

I had the pleasure of attending the wool and sheep fair in Rhinebeck, New York back in October.  Gee and I had made lots of plans to visit, but of course, life got in the way.  I decided to join a knitting circle in my neighborhood and the coordinator of the group always made a trek to Rhinebeck yearly.  So I paid the fee and on the bus I went, not really knowing anyone on this trip.  This was my very first my excursion outside of Brooklyn without Gee and without my family.  Interesting isn’t it, how you can be surrounded by many people, yet feel so alone.
 
I spent that entire day by myself wandering the grounds and constantly spending lots of time with the animals.  For some reason, I was really drawn to the animals – it was like going to the zoo for adults. Although I didn't know anyone I felt so very in tune to these beautiful animals, albeit some needed to be groomed.

As I wandered the various vendors, I came across a vendor selling sheep pelts. I came across one pelt that was rather small, champagne colored with one large brown or black spot. I ran my fingers over the fur and noticed that the tips of the fur were still colored in a taupe coloring that had not been shorn off in the process, but as you got further down closer to the skin, the fur was creamy white. I asked the woman why this animal had been put down when clearly it was so beautiful and the spot made it even more intriguing. She replied “it is that very spot that you call beautiful that cut that animals life short. The animal could not be sold for breeding because it was spotted.”

I thought about that and wondered how many of us would have been put down because of our scars or ‘spots’, yet someone still found us beautiful enough despite the 'spots' that HE gave HIS life for us.  The Word of God tells us, ‘by HIS stripes we are healed’.

The Old Testament tells us that the lamb had to be spotless in order for it to be sacrificed to GOD.  Yet through grace, with all our scars, we are beautiful and valuable enough in HIS eyes not to be put ‘down’.  The scars and spots we carry make us more valuable because they are lessons we carry with us from our past that teach, encourage and remind us of HIS everlasting love.

I didn’t spend that day by myself, but Holy Spirit accompanied me.  And through those hours I learned so much.  I am on a path of healing. . .how long will it take, only HE can tell. . .I’m in no rush, I just hope I can keep my heart and spirit sensitive and opened enough to learn.

I regretted not purchasing that pelt.  So now I am on a mission to find the perfect spotted pelt. 

1 comment:

  1. ...and I know you will continue on your mission for that pelt..:)

    ReplyDelete