Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Job - A Man of Endurance

For some time I have felt an urging to read the story of Job, an Old Testament character who endured much pain and much suffering.  He was a wealthy man, admired by many, large family and a loving wife.

I never wanted to read this particular book for fear that what Job went through somehow I would bring it upon myself.  I know that sounds weird and weird doesn't need explaining, but I did feel that way and so, I avoided reading the Book of Job.

As my life went into total chaos, beginning the night of Tuesday, May 5th, 2009,  the prompting and urging to turn to this book and read it, would not subside and I finally gave in.  As I cracked open those pages and started to read, I realized how much I understood Job and how much suffering he truly went through.  I cannot truly appreciate all his sufferings, but there was a part of me that understood a good portion of his 'woes and sorrows'.  I felt so drawn to reread certain sections of Job.  I kept reading the portion where he was told at four distinct times what had been lost.  I did understand.  I felt so like Job.  Distraught, filled with sorrow, fear, weepy, sad, lost in a fog, placed in some strange land that was so surreal that could anyone understand his thoughts and agony?

I recently shared the following with someone going through a difficult time:

"Holy Spirit knows our hearts better than we; HE hears the groanings of our spirit and brings it before the Father. [. . . ] You know, GOD allows us to travel these roads, although we can't understand why, but while we are traveling, we learn so much about ourselves and our relationship with HIM. Although there is a part of us that expects as children of GOD we should not experience these hardships, HE has a different plan for us. They may be very hurtful in the moment, but HIS plan begins to unfold as we trust in HIM. Sometimes that road is very lonely, it is times like that that we must turn to past blessings and not allow the enemy to steal our blessings and hope from us. Our greatest victories are when we are in the valley, because that is when GOD's strength is so easily seen and magnified in our lives. We can look back and know GOD brought us out of the valley. I am understanding what 'bittersweet' means and I feel so blessed to have so many praying for me. I will keep your friends in prayer. They too will one day hit that same road I am on of bittersweetness."

No comments:

Post a Comment